Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gloomy Go Pro Snake Road Run, Goldfish = Best fish and Burgers in Kenosha

On a Sunday morning sidewalk,
I'm wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
'Cause there's something in a Sunday
That makes a body feel alone.
And there's nothing short a' dying
That's half as lonesome as the sound
Of the sleeping city sidewalk
And Sunday morning coming down.

Kris Kristofferson knew how to write a song.

I awoke slightly hungover in Harvard after the exciting Drinkstravaganza we call Milk Days and rather than stumble about town and retread Kris's song I decided to go exploring.

First stop was to head up to Lake Geneva and try out my gopro chest mount on Snake Road.  For those of you who have missed it, it's one of the best motorcycle roads within an hour of Chicago or Milwaukee.  Left and right sweepers, elevation changes it's like they took orders.  Next time you are in the area head out of lake Geneva to the west and pick either entrance to Snake road, it slithers around the hills and million dollar estates and loops back to 50.

Here's the video I got.



After walking around downtown Lake Geneva I decided to visit WOCRR in Paddock Lake so I shot over east on 50.  After a short pitstop I decided to head up to the Kenosha area and put the Gastro in MotoGastro.
First stop was the Pleasant Prairie Mall to get some expired goldfish.  Pepperidge Farms has an outlet store for product that is nearing expiration at super steep discounts.  Unfortunately I unleashed the inner fatty beast and bought way too much stuff.  I ended up with a cart full of weird goldfish flavors and colors, baked snack crackers and Milano cookies.



The good news was for both bags of stuff I only paid $15 or something the bad part was my bags were already full of tools and emergency gear so there was much swearing and repacking.

All that didn't fit was this bag of pistachios but I needed a snack anyways.  Had it not been a Sunday I also wanted to check out the Calumet Meat Factory store and hit the Jelly Belly plant but that's the breaks of never planning out these jaunts.  I headed towards Kenosha thinking I would experience the legendary burgers the The Spot Drive-in to continue the theme I started in Marengo.  Once I arrived I found out that there was no inside seating and frankly at that point I was tired and freezing from the 50's temps so I decided to push on and hit one of the other places I had on my list.  Unfortunately Kenosha must have been out later than me the night before because every place I check was closed.  Frank's diner which I wanted to try after I saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives was closed.  The Coffee Pot was closed I was literally just driving around hoping somewhere would be open.

Luckily Capt Mike's burgers was open and on the list.

 I walked in and ordered a drink and was given a giant paper menu.  Everyone was super friendly and apparently Wisconsin is the Batman state as two separate tables of people and a waitress complimented my Batman tshirt as I walked by, Weird.

You go through and check off the options you want and the kitchen calls your name when it's done.  My problem is I had way too many choices so after spending way too long deciding, I ended up ordering the dirty burger which amounted to a standard burger with an onion ring, I subbed in reg mayo and fries but I did upgrade to the workingman 10oz patty. 

The burger was huge and excellently prepared.  The fries were handcut and crunchy but they had seasoned them with loads of black pepper, which I'm a bit intolerant to, so next time I would ask for just plain salt.  Now stuffed with food and sufficiently warmed I drove around kenosha a bit more and checked out the street car station.  I would have liked to go for a ride but I was loosing daylight.

I followed Lake Michigan south out of town and found this nicely customized Harley parked in front of a little store.






Once I got out of Kenosha I continued to follow the lake all the way down to Waukeegan.  I did stop at some picnic turnoff area and snap a few pictures.


Once again I was thoroughly chilled from the temps dropping near the lake so I decided to cut and run and shot back across 173 and headed home.

Overall route was something like this and was about 140 miles total.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment