Sunday, June 16, 2013

2013 Mods Vs. Rockers Bike and Scooter Show at the Aragon

A few weeks back I decided to head into Chicago for the Mods Vs. Rockers Motorcycle and Scooter show.

Being as it was a Saturday I figured traffic would be decent and I was wrong.  I got stuck a few times in deadlocked traffic and the Sportster was running very hot.  I was tempted to lanesplit but I never have the balls and always end up roasting in traffic wishing I was in California.  Luckily I only had about 5 miles of 90 when traffic got bad so I was only delayed about 20 minutes and once I got on the surface streets the bike would cool down right?  Wrong again, once I got off I had about 5 more miles on the surface street which was totally backed up and I was really wondering if hell could be much hotter.   After a bit a big BMW tourer flew by splitting in the Bicycle lane.  The bike was running rough and starting to ping so I decided to follow suit.  After I got behind the beamer I made great time and I was thankful I gathered the Cahones or I'd Still be waiting.

Once I got close to the show I fell in behind a hottie in a distressed leather jacket and a retro bell half helmet riding a beautiful triumph and suddenly the heat became the last thought on my mind.  We both pulled up and snagged 2 questionable spaces right on the lip of the drive heading into the show.  I started to gear down when the security guard came up and asked if I had just parked my bike.  I thought I was going to get yelled at and told to move but he said it was the same price to register the bike in the show or pay for admission and pointed to the 50 person line for spectators.  I walked up to the show entry and plunked down my $10.  Sadly Triumph Girl also entered the show and I lost track of her due to the bikes being sectioned by brand.  I headed to the very back corner where they stuck the Harleys and my get was off like a prom dress.



I present the show bike with the least votes, not pictured is the fat-assed spectator with the shortest walk.  I walked around aimlessly snapping pictures of bikes that caught my eye.  Sadly the british bikes and scooters were mostly sparkly clean fresh off the showroom deals.  The neatest bikes were the custom Harleys and Metrics that chose to attend.

An awesome BSA chopper
A neat sportster


A 50's harley Hummer

Cafe'd out Honda
Chiang Jiang 750 with sidecar
The Classy wolf logo on this BSA is awesome

Sportster customs were everywhere
Honda Shadow Viking?
Gold and silver triumph custom

I think this is a chopped Suzuki Boulevard ratrod bobber thing


Seat does not look comfortable





My bike's twin
Sportster with soft tail fender

Stock Rigid Evo Sportster
Nice Sportster Ratrod
Sportster for the road
MotoGuzzi Eldorado with a growler siren on the back wheel

Distressed Union Jacked Bonneville
Chicago Themed Paint on this Triumph


MotoGuzzi with sidecar

A beautiful honda cub
A nice Vespa with a custom tire cover
Skull and crossbones honda goldwing is my guess

Minimalist honda chop
The scooter lineup
The best scooter in the show
Modtastic
I would so drive my dog around in this
Work in Progress Bike
Shadow?
Honda choppers

Honda CB350 with clubmans and two passengers WTC?
Rice Chops
Metric Cafe

Mint Kawasaki Kz440 LTD
Gloss is for lips and nails with a custom bottle opener
This cafe had awesome details everywhere like the elephant painted on the seat.

Pitbike with sidecar


I saw this pasty food truck and took note to stop back and headed to the car show
VW Bug rat rod
Plymouth?
40's Chevy rust rod
50's chevy pickle
Ford falcon?
"Elmer"
Nice WWII staff car with suicide doors


2 Mercs


Slammed 50's truck was doubling as a platform to see the pinup show
Really Cool rat rod

Nice mercury
Slammed 60's Chevy truck
This Pontiac was in amazing shape

My teeth were floating so I had to wander over the the Aragon and make use of the facilities and grabbed a few of the bikes parked on the street.

Kawasaki KZ1000
I grabbed these shots of the murals in the antechamber to the mensroom






A shot of the Aragon's Grand Staircase
Triumphs were on display





And back to the bikes parked on the streets.

This bike's gauges were in the tank.
Sporty
Triumph Tiger 750

Vstrom with mexico travel stickers
Yamaha Enduro
Sporty with a spider painted porkster tank

NIB Sporty 48
I love these 70's and 80's tourers
Sporty with big twin tank and luggage
Awesome double saddle 50's BMW with bar end signals
Honda minibike
Lime Green Triumph
Dyna with some miles
Holy Shit a Kawasaki Zephyr ZR1100
Literal Hens Teeth
Honda CB
AMC Pacer in the bike parking, He gets a pass as it might have just broken down as he drove past.
Moto Guzzi 1000s
Honda CB
Sunburst BMW
MU MU MU Moped
Subdued Sporty

I decided to walk back through the show and see if I missed anything and grab something to eat.
Race mopeds?

BSA Survivor
BSA
The Chicago bike
The dyna fendered sporty
Harley Bagger
Beautiful 50's harley with upgrades
BMW with bags and bar end signals

Sporty Chopper
2 tone banana seat sporty
Another shot of the best in show scooter


And to put the Gastro in MotoGastro, I went back to the Bridgeport Pasty truck and grabbed a homemade BBQ Pork Pasty.


It WAS Awesome!

I am an idiot and didn't notice it had green peppers as an ingridient when I ordered and I have some weird intolerance to them but it was good enough I ate it anyways.


A really nice Triumph Chop

A full sized prospective buyer testing out the pitbike hack.  At this point I had literally seen everything and was hot, sweaty and tired so I decided to hit the road.  Luckily traffic was much better heading back to 90 and the bike was starting off cool so I only had to lanesplit for a few blocks and I was on my way out of town.

Here was the slabby route I took.  Not the most cool or scenic 95 miles but the show was definitely worth the trip.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment