Monday, February 4, 2013

A crash bar by any other name

I've always liked the idea of a crash bar on my motorcycles.  We all try to be careful but I personally have dropped a bike or two when I put the kickstand down and either caught it with my foot and knocked it back up or didn't extend it all the way and it snapped back up on it's own.  Luckily most times I've noticed or heard the kickstand flip up but when I didn't the bike fell over as I got off.  Luckily I put crash bars/case guards/engine guards on my Zephyr so the one time I leaned it over nothing happened but the guard got dirty.

On the Sportster I've debated installing a guard.  They do not usually make a bike look better but I have had the jiffy stand flip back quite frequently so I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before I screw up.  I decided I'd see if I could find one cheap and throw it on and if I didn't like the looks sell it on craigslist.

I found an ebay seller liquidating a pile of NOS 49018-88C engine guards from a dealer who went under.  I figured I'd throw in a lowball bid of $40 and see what happened.  The guard sold for $60 but the seller offered me another for my $40 bid so I jumped on it.

The install was quick and straightforward.  Remove the two upper engine mount bolt and the 2 upper lower engine mount bolts and install the guard.

I think it looks fine and goes nicely with the 50's and 60's look I'm going for.   We'll see if I change my mind but for $40 it's cheap insurance.

Here are some pics of it installed.






No comments:

Post a Comment